Sunday, May 22, 2011

Do You Have Odontophobia?

As a little girl, I was made to have weekly trips to see the dentist.

I didn't have anything wrong with me per se, but it soon became a regular occurrence and before you knew it, I'd have another blood-soaked piece of cotton to clamp on, a tooth to place beneath my pillow, and of course, the most fun part.... waking up to find that shiny gold coin in place of my tooth!

I was told that they were taking my teeth out so that there would be enough room for all my teeth to grow.... a concept that was a little counter-intuitive to my eight year old brain, but I went along with it - because I really had no choice and didn't know any better.

But fast-forwarding to the future... being that I'd been to the dentist so regularly when I was younger, I assumed that I'd be fine to see them again....

Ummm... NO!!

Like many people out there, apparently I'd developed a kind of fear of seeing the good Doctor.

Unlike many other phobias however, which have been caused by some sort of previous traumatic event, I am not alone in being hesitant to see the dentist. There is an estimated 3 out of 4 people who share the same fear, but it's more likely to be because we just don't like the experience.

Approximately only 5 - 10% of the population are considered to have a true phobia of visiting the dentist - these people will avoid seeing a dentist at all costs, until they have a dental emergency because they are so fearful of the treatment. It's a bit of a vicious cycle in that their behaviour re-enforces their belief.

Are you one of these people? Ask yourself - when was your last dental appointment? Do you perhaps get a little anxious like most other people or do you absolutely dread and avoid seeing the dentist altogether?

Having finally dragged myself to the dentist recently, I realised that I don't actually hate seeing them - I just don't like the tools and instruments that they use!

To be fair though, I know that I definitely won't be as excited to be placing my teeth under my pillow anytime soon....

Given how amazing technology is in this day and age, and that we are able to have so many artificial replacements for our respective body parts - I know one thing for certain - and that is, that I would definitely like to have all my teeth when I'm eighty.

How about you...?

So, regardless of how you may feel about them - if you too, value your teeth - then, in the words of my dentist... remember to "brush twice a day and to floss, floss, floss!"

"Every tooth in a man's head is more valuable than a diamond." - Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote, 1605

Yours in dental health until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment